***Please remember that while ingredients in recipes are not subject to copyright, the method is. Feel free to re-post these recipes on your site with different instructions and please attribute the (original) recipe, with a link, to A Helping of Hope. Thanks!***
These soup biscuits–mini-flatbreads in a sense–are easy to make. The most difficult task is waiting for the wheat berries to sprout (takes up to 3 days). Before you start your fast, sprout 1-1/4 cup of wheat berries (from organic heritage grains if you can find/afford them); you can store them in a glass jar in the freezer for a long time; rinse with cold tap water to defrost them and empty contents of the jar into a fine mesh sieve to catch the defrosted wheat berries. Now you may use them in the recipe below!
Overview: Pulverize ingredients into a doughy paste; bake like cookies. Serve with Soups & Stews. Makes 24 biscuits (two batches of 12 per tray).
- ~3 cups sprouted wheat berries (from 1-1/4 cup dry)
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil or Non-Hydrogenated Organic Vegetable Shortening (optional)
- 2 pinches of salt
- Salt and Pepper to sprinkle (optional)
- Garlic Powder to sprinkle (optional)
- Sprouting jar
- Mini-processor with S-blade
- Measures: 1 cup, 1/4 cup, 1 TBSP
- Brown paper lunch-bag (optional)
- Preheat oven to 4o0F. Place unbleached, chlorine-free parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Split the ingredients in two: in two batches, pulverize wheat berries, oil (optional), and salt in a food processor with an S-shape blade until the dough forms into clumps.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop dough out of the processor and onto the lined baking tray. Flatten dough balls with your fingers into a small cookie-shape.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and pepper onto the top of each biscuit and press seasonings into the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the top rack on one side, then flip biscuits over to bake for 5 minutes on the other side.
- Allow to cool before serving; the inside of the biscuit will continue to cook and will be pleasantly soft when sufficiently cooled. Put hot soup biscuits in a brown paper bag to retain moisture as they cool (optional).