***Please remember that while ingredients in recipes are not subject to copyright, the method is. Feel free to re-post these recipes on your site with different instructions and please attribute the (original) recipe, with a link, to A Helping of Hope. Thanks!***
This is designed to go with the Sprouted Wheat Berry Pizza Crust Recipe. You can cut this recipe to 1/3 to make sauce for an individual 9″ pizza.
- 1 medium red onion, halved
- 1 TBSP butter
- 6 Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 large stick celery, cut in two
- 6 Cloves garlic, crushed and skinned
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Basil, Thyme, and Oregano or 1 TBSP ea. dried
- Using a food processor, chop the onion until fine. Saute the onion in the butter over low-medium heat in a frying pan until translucent.
- While the onion is cooking, put the tomatoes, garlic, and celery in the processor and chop into a puree. Add to the frying pan when the onions are soft.
- Add salt and pepper, followed by the other herbs. Simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens (reduces) to a spreadable pulp.
While your sauce is thickening, you can shred some mozzarella cheese for your pizza (it’s best to shred block cheeses because they contain fewer ingredients than bagged, shredded cheeses).
For an alternative, more traditional-tasting pizza sauce, you could follow my Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe without using the chicken stock. Cook until the sauce is paste-like.