***Please remember that while ingredients in recipes are not subject to copyright, the method is. Feel free to re-post these recipes on your site with different instructions and please attribute the (original) recipe, with a link, to A Helping of Hope. Thanks!***
This hearty stew is very nutritious and filling enough to be an entree. The beans and whole grains (corn) form complete proteins. The sweet potato helps to replenish potassium lost in the detoxing process. The stew can be diluted with Bean or Summer Squash Broth (for additional potassium) to make a savory soup. This recipe is a Daniel-Fast-friendly adaption of my Cowboy Stew Recipe.
Saute onions and sweet potatoes: add seasoning, followed by liquid ingredients. Once potatoes are soft, add beans and corn. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve. Serves four hearty adult helpings. LION’S DEN SOUP OPTION: Dilute finished stew with Bean or Summer Squash Broth 1:2 for a tasty soup perfect for lunch or a pick-me up on rainy days! Save leftover stew to make a quick soup at the drop of a hat!
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 TBSP Organic Chili Seasoning
- 2 cups Bean Broth or Summer Squash Broth
- 1 large jar of Mild Salsa (approx. 2 cups; make sure it has no additives or sugar/sweetener)
- 2 Portabello Mushrooms
- 1 large Ear of Corn (or 1 cup frozen corn)
- 2 cups sprouted and cooked Garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) or Black Beans
- Knife/Chopping board
- Measures: 1 cup, 1 TBSP
- Large pot (stainless steel or cast iron, avoid nonstick) with lid
- Peel the sweet potatoes and dice into small cubes (~1 cm^3)
- Dice the red onion and saute in the olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent and soft.
- Add the sweet potato and chili seasoning to the pot and stir to distribute spice evenly
- Add the salsa and broth; simmer until sweet potato is soft (15 minutes)
- While the sweet potato is cooking, slice the kernels off the corn cob (if using fresh corn)
- Add corn, diced mushrooms, and beans to the pot; simmer for 10 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!